Friday, November 20, 2009

November 14, 2009

This morning, as usual, I awoke before the alarm. I felt a little sick to my stomach when I woke up, almost like if I had been drinking the night before but I only had 1.5 prestiges all night. Funnily enough, Nath said the same thing, like she felt hungover but wasnt drinking. The feeling didnt last long, but I didnt have an appetite for the wierd egg mixture at breakfast this morning so I just had some fruit. We were all split into 3 vans and I had said I was wanting to go with the group that was going to the art sale in Petionville, but then found out the rest were going to an orphanage. I should have trusted my gut instinct to go to the orphanage because I wanted to see kids...but I didnt. The sale wasnt very good. Nath and Karen said I would go nuts, but I really didnt care for most of the things at all and I had to pay to get in. Anything I did want was too expensive, so I ended up getting a vay vay change purse with fish on it and a tabacco leaf vase. I later found out the orphanage trip was really great and the kids sang for them and everything. I keep making the wrong choices, like I would have preffered to miss Presse Cafe then spend the $7 cover.
Either way the choices were made and it is too late now. Not to keep on a complaining streak or anything, but then our rented vehicle that we took to Indigo was sooo uncomfortable, I felt like I was sitting with flexed hips...my back was getting really sore. The ride was supposed to take 2.5 hours but we managed it in maybe 1.5 so that was a nice surprise. I was happy to get out of my seat that's for sure. It was some nice scenerey on the drive, but I was also head bobbing falling asleep :) All our bags were sitting at the front desk when we arrived and we just had to fill out a paper and pick up our keys. I am rooming with Debi. This year we are way up on the third floor. The beach was great, I loved swimming today and just floating there and soaking up some rays. I went over to check out the paintings that had been in the same spot last year, with no intentions of buying anything so I didnt even take my money. But then of course they start bartering and I end up buying 2 oil boat knife paintings for $80 which was more than I wanted to spend...anyway I tell the guy I dont have my money can he set them aside...he says no just take them up to your room and tell your friends to come look at my stuff...I go back up to the room so I can get out my money...start counting it...I didnt have near as much as I thought! So I had to go borrow $30 from Caryn, it's frustrating because I saw more things that I want to buy here but I dont like having to owe people money when we get back. I tried to barter for a stone carving of the slave blowing the conch, but he wont go to $5 which I could more afford...I am going to try him again tomorrow, see how badly he wants to sell it and try for $10. I am not sure if I would be able to find it elsewhere. I also saw a guy braiding banana leaf and wasnt sure if Chris would like the hats he was making, but it looked ok on the guy. But then I noticed he had made a really cool watch strap and he was happy that I noticed it and liked it but he didnt have any for sale. I thought about seeing if he could make me one for tomorrow but I dont know how I would get it on a watch face (he had sewn it onto a plastic one) and then there is the whole issue of borrowing money to do it anyway. So far I just havent been drinking to save money :) Good for the diet I am telling myself. We sat around on the beach, being pestered by the vendors until security made them leave, and stayed on the beach well after dark until heading to our rooms to shower at about 6:30. We headed back down for supper, when we are all together in the bar area we take up quite a bit of space! After supper we went back down to the bar and sat around the tables. They were playing jazzy slow elevator style music so we kept yelling out suggestions but noone was really interested in doing much dancing, as much as they tried to get us all up. Finally The Black Eyed Peas, I've got a feeling started playing and Colleen yells out I've got a feeling everyone is going to be on the dance floor- so we all jumped up and danced like crazy. The staff then realized what type of music to play and put their white girl on DJ duty and we had a fun night of dancing! At one point they tried to switch back to the jazzy stuff and we all left the dance floor and Caryn said Sourette must have requested it because the DJ pointed to us all leaving the floor and did a I told you so face and then shrugged to Sourette. It was a lot of fun. Debi and I went to bed at 1am and a lot of the others were still up. We werent drinking so werent quite as ambitious to run around tackling each other in the sand playing handball.
A very relaxing fun day.

No comments: