Thursday, November 05, 2009

Kay Kapab part deux

We had a great time out last night. We went first to the Country Club for a drink and did some dancing in our chairs to some throw-back music to the 70's and 80's including Disco Inferno and Bad Girls. We then went to the Latin Corner which did not have a lot of people there, and was quite kitch. There were a lot of black lights so we all glowed. Noel was a great teacher of the Kompa! It is definitely a different style of dancing than in Canada. Jolyane and I, who are considered the young crew, tired more quickly of the evening than the older crew Nath and Karen, I believe they would have stayed out all night!
I slept in a little later and got up at 7 to make up for the later bed time and then got ready for another day up at Kay Kapab. Fresh fruit again for breakfast, and spicy peanut butter for the bananas. There were also pancakes and ham, but I stuck with the bananas, pineapple and watermelon. I think I am only a coffee drinker in Haiti, may have something to do with the added chocolate.
When Jolyane and I arrived at the clinic it was quite empty, but then the therapists arrived with big smiles- more used to us on day 2. We talked a bit about the plan for the day and what their thoughts were etc. They were excited to learn more about OT which is a good sign. I worked with the male therapist and Jolyane worked with the female and we split up to tackle the days clients as teams. I found a translator who said he was at the clinic in case there was work, but that I would have to check with the clinic manager because that is how he would get paid. We could not find Johnny so he stayed and translated anyways. I cannot even tell you what a difference it makes to have a translator! I think I need to take an intense French course so that I can get more done at the clinic ;) I was able to have some bonding time with the tech and get some background about where he is from and how he travels to the clinic (taptap and sometimes motorcycle from Carrefour). Our first client was a 2 year old boy, B, who the tech thought when he started therapy had CP, but then as he progressed believed it to be more of just hemiparesis. Potentially a head injury, hard to say. His mom says he had the weakness for as long as she could remember. He was there with his older brother O, who is 6. B was such a cutie, he laughed all through his ROM and was quite shy at first but by the end was singing for us. I found out that at home he enjoys playing with the ball, so we got out a soccer ball and I showed mom some fun games to play to help promote bilateral hand use, balance and strength. B had a great time, and I think a great session. Aterwards we looked at the charting and note taking. They find it difficult to do a lot of their charting because they do not have a photocopier for their forms, and usually the printer upstairs is not working. We think they would also find a great difference with an organizing system for all their papers, so all they had to do was go to the wall and grab the items they need for the session. Something to look into for the future.
While we prepared for the next client, Johnny arrived and I told him that I was benefiting from the translator. And it was at this point that we were informed that it was not in the budget to pay him, because he was told the team would have 3 francophones and would therefore manage. We tried to explain that we were much more efficient if we could split up, but undertsandably he did not want to change the plan without the team leaders say...I apologized to the translator, but he said he would stay and help me anyway as a volunteer- a very nice man. Later in the day he mentioned that he sold jewelry and I remembered him having it set out last time as well, so I said we would look at it during the break. I told Jolyane and we decided we would buy some jewelry and then he would get paid for the day :)
Next we had a woman, R-M, who was post CVA with a subluxed R shoulder and flaccid wrist, some tone in the digits. Her program was more PT based, but I showed the daughter how to best fit the sling for optimum comfort and I added some padding to the shoulder strap. We also discussed the use of a splint, but that will be for the P+O clinic. She wore an AFO and practiced weight transfers and mobility. While she worked on the stairs with the tech, the translator and I talked to the daughter about what assistance her mom required at home and we found out that she was not able to complete toileting independently because their set up was a hole in the ground and for mom a bucket. We were able to find a commode for her to take home. When we came around the corner with it, their faces lit up and they laughed because it was a simple idea and a great fix. R-M looked very happy to have that increased independence, and I imagine some dignity returned.
When we finished up there it was close to 1 and they were going on break so we went down to the guest house. The translator displayed his jewelry, I believe it was all made from coconut shells. I bought earrings, Jolyane a necklace and earrings set and Nath a hair clip. Probably a good day for him.
When we went back up to the clinic the place was empty and the techs were having siesta. We talked to them a bit about the forms and they would like us to add some more ADL sections. We asked them if they wanted to do any other teaching or if they had questions, but they were too tired. So we went for a swim instead. Jolyane and I played with our underwater cameras and have deduced that we do not look that good under water :P
For supper we had lambi (conch) and vegetables with a custard like dessert.
We then sat around in the living room and did some housekeeping in regards to what needs to be done for the weekend and next week in terms of what equipment we need to bring, who we need to contact and what we need to find. Nath and Karen took a nap and Jolyane is studying for her Yoga instructor course.
Not sure the plans for tonight.
Leave for Jacmel tomorrow am, have already let the staff here know we will be early for breakfast and will not need a big spread! Also gave them some of my laundry so that I have some clean pants for the week. Karen and I have talked about just wearing our scrubs at Ile a Vache regardless of how dirty they get day to day. Does stink keep bugs away? I doubt it. an A-bomb wouldnt keep the bugs away! I dont know how they find me but at some point between this morning and this afternoon they got my legs right through my pants and I now have some beautiful red spots scattered over the brilliant white.

3 comments:

Judy DeBoer said...

Melissa -
I've been following your trip to Haiti (you commented on my trip in September.) It's fun to hear about someone else's experiences and get a different perspective of the country.
Regarding the bugs, wear your deet. I came home with Dengue fever!
Wishing you safety and health -
Judy

Melissa said...

Thank you for your interest! Haiti is definitely a beautiful country with so much to offer, everyone can have a different experience! it was difficult to keep a blog going, however, when internet is a scattered resource :)
We had quite a few ill on this trip, but no dengue this year luckily!
Hope you have a great recovery!
Melissa

Anonymous said...

tres interessant, merci