Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Star Ship envy

:D SO Bev has had what I believe to be an excellent idea! Donations to the "Save Melissa's New Zealand Memories" Fund can be made out to myself and either deposited directly into my account or given to my mother for transfer! This is prime entertainment by the way...I would think better than a movie...hahaha!!

It’s always difficult to start the posts that are a few days behind. Today I am at the Star Ship Hospital which is a children’s hospital a ten minute walk from our apartment. Why they weren’t able to place me here I am unsure, as after 10 minutes of being here I was really wishing this was my complete placement. There already is apparent a vastly more wide range of learning opportunities, so I told them if they ever want me to come back I will be here in a second…well maybe ten minutes. Yesterday with Becky I did an in home pain assessment in Cambridge which is about a 2 hour drive south east toward Rotarua. It was the only thing we did all day as the rest of our time was spent travelling. We used one of those print out internet maps which tells you which street to turn onto and for how many km’s to drive down it etc…Becky says I jinxed us as I immediately told her the story of how the last time I used one of these I wound up on a dead end lane in the middle of the woods. We got lost. Of course. I believe we stopped at 5 garages to repeatedly ask directions. We even stopped a film crew to ask…and I really wanted to ask them what they were doing and whether or not they could make me famous…but I held back. When we found the mans house it was simply amazing…what a back yard! Mountains and rolling hills, fields of sheep and deer and cows and rocky crags. Very very nice. That evening Jo and I went back over to Devonport where we were met by some distant something or other somehow possibly related to Jo family. The father David and his two sons Christopher and Luke met us on the dock and as we walked to the car I couldn’t help notice how the 2 boys kept looking at me…then one says to me You look like you live here. I, however, heard you look like you love here…as they had pretty strong accents. I said that I do…and was surprised by their surprised looks, as they would’ve heard I was Canadian. After a bit we had it all sorted out, and it was by far the best compliment I have received since arriving! My assimilation is successful. Luke was even training me on the accent…but they said I often sounded to Aussie. So I am working on it. The supper, or evening tea, was simply delicious…we definitely appreciate food. It was really cute too because they brought out a birthday cake for JO. Today is Jo’s bday and we are heading out for a buffet meal tonight where hopefully Jo’s meal will be free. Tomorrow we are touring the Auckland School of OT and then on Saturday we will be heading off to the Bay of Islands for fun fun fun! My hopes are to go sea kayaking and get some amazing photos!

No comments: