Monday, April 09, 2007

My weekends

So I have been going home for the past few weekends because there hasnt been much going on around Halifax and seeing as how it is nearly time to grow up and move away I should make the most :) The first weekend I was home I got to see Emily say her speech and I must say she blew everyone away...definitely the best one there! The next weekend she was saying her speech at the next level and it was also moms 50th birthday so another good excuse to go home, it worked out that I could surprise mom because a girl in my class, Maureen, was going home as well (to Stellarton) so I hitched a ride with her. She definitely provides some interesting chit chat for the drive :) To save Maureen driving me out home, and because Chris and I were planning an outing anyway, he picked me up in Stellarton and we ate out and rented a movie to bring home and watch with the family. However mom was working a late shift so we had to wait a while for her to come home. As we couldnt hide Chris' vehicle we tried to pull off that he was so bored he decided to come and hang out with Emily. Mom wasnt buying it and found me hiding :P That weekend we also went down to the shore to take pictures for Emily's 4H project. It was absolutely freezing on the beach and I was quite disgusted over the mess the workers had left behind! Chris and I also hung the shelf I had made for our front entry. When I got back to the city I discovered that we no longer had internet and therefore had to run off to the main campus library (as ours was closed) to complete an assignment due the next day. I didnt see any of my roommates until late Tue night. Our phone and TV were quick to follow in the disappearing act and I was none to impressed to discover the cause was unpaid bills...they were not paid the entire time I was out of the country. I missed a very important phone call from a potential employer and have not heard from them since I sent an apologetic email. After displaying some assertiveness when they finally returned we were reconnected to the internet but still do not have phone service and it is very annoying. I cannot wait to move out. Living alone may turn out to be a glorious experience. I have just returned from another weekend home as it was the long easter weekend. Emily is in Europe (until next Sat) so it was much quieter than usual! haha! Chris kept me entertained in her absence. We went on a mini road trip Saturday to take photos of the new windmills and waterfalls, and Nanuk of course came along too! We stopped at the windmill first but had a hard time making it look as big as it appeared to the naked eye on film. Then we went to the bakery on the brule shore and got a loaf of bread and some date squares. We then drove to wentworth and found the first waterfall on our list and took some shots of the ice formations and of course some portraits. We moved on to the under mountain river and then drove to Truro for lunch. While waiting for our food I noticed that Nanuk was in the back of the SUV and his movements looked suspicious...as suspected he had gotten into the baked goods and did quite a number on them in the short amount of time he had. The snow had started at this point so as we drove back to PC we decided we would get the rest of the waterfalls the next time I came home. It was a good choice because we had quite the storm! A lot came down really fast! This seems like an appropriate time to quote my sister Sarah, as I think she summed it up quite nicely and it made me laugh
"please someone make it stop!! round white fluffy things are surrounding me. they're all over the place and all through the air. they're building up and up and up until that's all you can see. I've yelled at them, "It's April!" but they won't listen. they're like those stubborn jellyfish that show up in August. Or the people who chit chat with the cashier after their groceries have been bagged. Or those who move away and then continue to consistently fill your inbox with useless babble. They don't understand when their time is up. I mean I love it all winter and one of my happiest days is the first day they show up, but I can't take it anymore. Oh, the powers that be, please take pity on me. We're talking since Oct. 28th. 5 months - that's almost half a year. I coasted on it, I played in it, I threw it, I scuplted it, I danced in it, I walked in it, I fell in it, I skiied on it, I shovelled it,I extreme drove through it, I gave it it's due and glorified it during it's time, what more does it expect???? It's time to let go."
We had easter dinner at home, it was weird to not have Sarah and Emily there. The next day Chris, Nanuk and I went sledding and tried to build a fort...not too successfully.All in all I watched a lot of movies and did very little studying for my last 2 exams ever! On the drive back into the city though Maureen and I spent the entire drive talking about all the things we knew about our course which we will be examined on tomorrow and it turns out we know a fair chunk so we are no longer worried.

Here are some of the photos from our sessions:


Ice jumping at the beach


Chris and I successfully causing Emily "to look" at nothing by pretending we see something exciting...


Nanuk, Chris and I on the rocks


Nanuk, Emily and I on the rocks


Walking back...joking about belts :)


The shelf on the wall!


Emily giving her heart-felt, well researched speech on how one person can impact change on the world


oh she looooved this...I believe the quote here is "hurry up and take the picture, people are laughing at us!" Then she tried to shove it in the trunk, but it didnt fit...so it rode with me in the back seat all the way home, where I believe the next quote came from me "I feel as though I am staring my future in the face..." I am one lucky girl ;)


Neither look a day over 29...or is that act? Posing with a gift from Sarah


Nanuk sleeping in the sun


The windmill in Tatamagouche


haha!


an old boat


Ice on the waterfall


Nanuk the creeper


Base of the waterfall


Jumping into the river that runs under the mountain


the back seat...haha...


my dapper travel buddies!


There were 8 very perplexed and anxious robins skirting around the yard during the beginnings of the storm

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the pic of the shelf on the wall! It's inspiring! Love JO