Sunday, November 20, 2011

Back in Port au Prince

OK, I obviously failed my experiment of attempted blogging again! I am back in Port au Prince and nearly 2 weeks have passed since I last popped on here to update. We have been quite busy, nd it was difficult to sneak away to take the time to type out our daily activities. I was able to take some notes the first few days on paper, to remind me of what I would want to elaborate on later- but that, too, only lasted so long. I will try to get back into it before too long so that I dont forget! Today was a travel day, leaving Jacmel to come back into Port au Prince, so we didnt have any work arranged (that and it's Sunday so difficult to arrange any work.) We had our last breakfast overlooking the ocean this morning and then enjoyed a swim in the ocean after packing our rooms up. I borrowed Caryn's goggles and swam around to explore. I only had one minor panic moment when I was over on the rock edge farther than I had ever gone before, but I did some deep breathing and calmed :) I did see some fish, little blue ones, a middle sized orange one, a big white one and a lot of yellow and black striped ones. It was really interesting.
We left Jacmel at around 12:30 and arrived at our guesthouse at 3:30 (not bad.) I always enjoy the drive over the mountain (and the cool air) but I may have gotten too much sun on one arm- its not sore though. Michaelle made me a list on the drive of her favourite kreyol musicians, so it will be neat to see how many of them I can find when I get home. I also studied some kreyol on the drive from my iPhone app, and on one of the stops Hero (our driver) and I played a quick game of him reading the english and then me trying to guess the kreyol before him. A little girl came over and played along as well, but I dont think she had any english.
When we got to the guest house we packed a bag to send back down to Ile a Vache and then we took a tour of the new clinic! It's exciting to see how much progress they have made since May. We were able to walk around all 3 levels and imagine what it will look like. Andy says they are hoping to have it open in March. We came back to the house and had supper, set up our bug nets and now we are playing games and catching up with our technology. My iPhone is also no longer responding. I had fixed it this morning, but then right after supper it stopped recognizing my touch. This happened to me on Friday as well, so I had to let it die and recharge. Hopefully letting it die will resolve the issue again (its a lot closer to death this time fortunately)

No comments: