Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Moving has become my constant standard of living

Well I have moved again! For some reason I am not capable of leaving a suitcase unused for more than 4mos. at a time. I wonder where I will go next...please dont even get me started on my travel list because it may make me cry when I realize it most likely will never happen. My latest move has brought me closer to the student life than when I had been living in Halifax last year; let's just say I now know how quickly and brilliantly a couch burns in the middle of the street. The neighbours seem fine to allow these hooligans to run the streets at night whooping and hollering and blasting music, oh and of course lighting anything flammable...but they do not like if Nanuk barks in the morning. My street is night owls so that is going to take some adjusting. The place we moved into is very...quiant...haha! We are renting a house from a lawyer in Ottawa who purchased the tiny home while attending law school. It's small, but so are we so it should work out pretty dandy. My biggest complaint though is the cold, it is quite chilly and it is only early October. Our yard has heaps of trees around the house so we dont get much sun, not to mention the home is made of large cement blocks (thats just a guess, I dont really know what they are, I will leave that to Chris to explain). We also have a sun porch that is slightly spearated from the house and thus leaking in cold air, plus the windows are old school and only single paned. Most of the windows have been weathered, but there is still some more to do. I am currently working on getting some curtains made to pretty the place up. We painted the bedroom the most spectacular shade of blue based off Debbie travis' "Best Friend" blue, we thought that was fitting for our situation...and it works for both him and myself. We got a new comforter set as well from Ty's line and it is chocolate brown, so the walls really pop with it. The curtains for the room will be a lighter shade of brown and remind me very much of a skirt I got at the Black Market. Its very exciting to decorate a home rather than an apt. The living room is green already, I had wanted to paint it a vibrant shade of green, like grass, but we decided to conserve money and I remained content with a more muted green. Chris' father, Roger, has the neatest vinyle cutting machine and he has been experimenting with wall words and wall sticker vinyl so I hoping hoping to have something amazing to put up in the living room...I'm aiming for fern curls.
I received word that I passed the licensing exam for OT, so that means I have to keep working :P So much for my backpacking adventures in Scotland, instead I continue to grip the steering wheel on my journey to Minto each week. One day I saw a total of 8 deer on my trip in to work, being forced to break for 4 of those! It's a nerve wracking stretch of highway to say the least, I do not even kid when I say my hands get sore from gripping the wheel too tightly. I've still only seen one moose though. On the bright side though I am having fun testing a new car each week, today it is a cherry red Yaris, last week a brand spanking new grey Corolla, and the week before a silver Versa. I'm hoping to get the Mazda 3 next week, the rental guy said it's his favourite. If I had my own car the hospital would be paying me mileage instead of renting me a vehicle, so I am pretty tempted to look into financing options that somewhat equal what I would earn each month in travel expenses. Something to ponder for sure...and Mazda IS having a sale...
In other news I travelled over to PEI the long weekend in September for Anne-Maries wedding to Wayne. I took the bus to Moncton to meet Laura and then we travelled over the bridge the next day! It was great to see Laura again and we had a lot of fun putting together our gift for the newly married couple...of course it came complete with a poem...it wouldnt be a true Melissa-Laura creation without one! We drove over in our matching outfits and got gussied up in Summerside before heading over to the church where we were pleased to run into Martha in the parking lot! I was already getting excited for the dance event, knowing AM had invited some FANTASTIC dancing OT machines! Sarah, Maggie and Cathy were all seated at our table, so it was a mini reunion :) They had a really neat idea at the wedding where they took everyones picture as you entered the church, then later at the reception all the photos were in an album which acted as the guest book! That way you signed your best wishes and the couple would have a keepsake photo reminder of everyone there on their special day! The church was immaculate, I havent been in many catholic churches so it was a small treat. I think my breath stopped when AM came around the corner in her dress with her dad...she looked exquisite! The ceremony turned out to be pretty funny, as the priest whipped out his magic wand that ensured the marriage would be smooth sailing! I do not jest, he bonked them both on the head with a sparkled/ streamer tipped baton...and I almost died laughing! At the reception our favours were scottish thistle pins and they were handing out blue spruces to offset the paper used in the ceremony...I was in my element...both fantastic ideas I have no qualms in stealing for my own future event...if one ever comes. The dance was beyond fun, and I may have shed some pounds as we all galloped around the floor, twisting and spinning with the bride and her brothers all donned in kilts! Chris joined us near the end of the evening for a few dances and then Laura Martha Myself and Chris expired to our campground where we near but collapsed in a heap on the ground before setting up a tent in the dark (and in dresses!) Chris and I spent an extra night camping before going back to our respective provinces. It was a great weekend!


Last weekend, coincidentally, was also a long weekend! Thanksgiving! Chris and I went home and I attended a friends stagette party where we all dressed as fairies! Very interesting. Sunday I visited with Meredith and marveled over her VERY cute apt they created across from her home, its very lively and fun! She had great exciting news and it was so nice to be able to spend some time with her, even if we didnt get to trudge up Greenhill and freeze as we marvelled over the foliage! Sunday afternoon was spent stuffing ourselves with a great meal, followed by another stuffing event of desserts at the Pattersons. Monday morning Emily, Chris and I carved THE most coolest pumpkins ever carved. Biased opinion of course. Emily taught me how to do shave carvings and it was a lot of fun...we saved all the seeds for roasting and for crafts. I wonder if I will make it home for craft weekend?
I have some sewing projects on my table to do, and a lady is selling a VAST variety of homespun yarns at the hospital so it is tempting me to pick up my needles again and see what I can create! Perhaps I will be able to post some crafty pictures someday.

No comments: